1959 – What a year!
- Dwight D. Eisenhower was president
- Hawaii became the 50th US State
- Gas cost 25 cents per gallon
- The Twilight Zone aired for the first time on October 2nd
- Mack the Knife, sung by Bobby Darin was the number one song.
- Ben Hur won the Oscar for Best Picture
- Boston Celtics win over Minneapolis Lakers. It is Boston’s 8th consecutive NBA championship.
And…Piquet Lane Swim & Tennis Club was formed by a few families from Morton Village.
Piquet Lane Swim and Tennis Club is a family cooperative comprised of 200 family bondholder members. Our summer club has changed dramatically since 1959 and now features:
- a huge, state-of-the-art, heated swimming pool
- wading pool
- seven manicured, Har-Tru tennis courts
- a full service concession eatery, sponsored by La Bottega of Plainview
- basketball, pickleball, Gaga, volleyball and other athletic activities
- outdoor grilling area and bar
- acres of grassy areas just to sit and relax.